After-school activity conducted at La Giralda School (Bogota, Colombia). This design studio focused on introducing 4th grade children to the design thinking process by identifying and addressing a problem of their immediate community.
As part of my Master’s thesis, I planned, delivered, and conducted research on a 12-weeks long design studio offered to 20 children in a low-income community in Bogota, Colombia. This involved the following actions:
- Conduct a literature review on design thinking and its applications in K-12 education.
- Propose a series of lesson plans to introduce concepts of design thinking to children while conducting a design project related to their community.
- Adjust the lesson plans according to the evolution of students’ projects, the learning needs detected in every session, and the input of my advisor.
- Facilitate the sessions following a studio-based pedagogy.
- Provide guidance and feedback to students’ projects.
- Document this learning experience through audio recordings, photographs, interviews, and artifact collection and analysis.
- Obtain and manage the funds required to provide materials and snacks to the students.